We at Lori love being in the city, but we enjoy nature just as much – and summer is the perfect season for soaking in the sun! If you’re planning on packing up your car and heading out of town for a hike or a camping trip as a family, here are some handy checklists to guide you along the way.
Must-haves for kid-friendly camping trips:
- First aid kit
- Insect repellant
- Lots of snacks (keep variety in mind!)
- Roomy cooler (to keep that lemonade cold!)
- Warmer clothes for colder nights
- Activity sheets, such as a nature scavenger hunt
- Camping chairs (to be comfy around the campfire!)
- Lanterns and flashlights
- Favorite doll (to soothe first-time campers)
- Books for story time
- Twinkle lights and decorative pillows (for extra coziness!)
Must-haves for kid-friendly hikes:
- Comfortable shoes
- Waterproof clothes (for the hikes with a chance of rain)
- Swimsuit (for a mid-hike swim!)
- Extra pair of socks
- Snacks that are easy to eat on the go
- Water bottle
- Binoculars (to get a closer look at wildlife)
- Sunhat and sunglasses
- Hiking map or a device
- Bags for trash (to leave the park the way you found it!)
- Lightweight backpack (to store it all!)
- Playtime can help first-time campers or hikers familiarize themselves with the respective experiences! Long outdoor walks or sleeping in a tent will be unfamiliar territory, so dramatic play with dolls can give children a good idea of what’s to come.
- To take the familiarization process a step further, you can even go on a mini hike in your local park or recreate the camping experience from the comfort of your home! Set up a tent indoors or in the backyard, put a sleeping bag and pillows inside it, then “camp”!
- To give little campers and hikers a boost of confidence, we also recommend involving them in the packing process. Something as simple as choosing which t-shirt to wear or which snacks to take can let them know that they’re actively participating in the process.
Whether you’re camping or hiking as a family this summer, we hope you enjoy the outdoors to the fullest!